Thursday, November 29, 2012

Drum Roll Please! Introducing.....


Rachel Oliver's 1st Press Post!

Ms. Rachel Oliver on her Wedding Day!


Hello Everyone!  Since this is my first time entering the blogosphere, I’ll start with a brief introduction.  Since the first step is admitting you have a problem, here goes.  I am a non-traditional bride.  I had two dresses, four weddings (to the same wonderful man- more on that later) and I’m addicted fashion.  Now that we've gotten that out of the way, there is nothing more beautiful than finding a way to merge the classic beauty of a wedding with all things fashionable and trendy to create something timeless.

I have spent most of my life in retail.  As a window designer and display person, I got to merge my inner craft-a-holic with my outer fashion junkie.  What sounds like a really cool job can be frustrating since you are often thwarted with contradicting tangible resources to develop your vision; not to mention time, budget, and space constraints.  You know! It’s kind of like planning a wedding or event.  When I was planning my wedding, I came across endless magazine photos, websites, planning tools and blogs that all claim to help you put together your perfect wedding.  What I found, was about a million ideas that I wanted to somehow incorporate into one cohesive event.  Add in some moms, maids, and hubby’s opinions and you can get utterly overwhelmed!  Despite where you’re at in the planning process, let me assure you, it can be done!

You’ll hear a lot from me about fashion, trends, and ideas to set the mood.  I am firm believer that even at the same venue where your cousin got married six month ago, you can create a truly distinct and memorable event with the right planning.  Combining my former career with event planning has turned into an impromptu three step program to help me through my creative planning addiction.  All of these things can be applied to creating the perfect wedding, sweet sixteen, window display, store grand opening, or Thursday night dinner party with pals. 

Here’s the advice I can offer:

1)      Know your budget!  Don’t stray.  Set one, and stick with it! The likelihood is that you will go over even when minding it closely, so if you fool yourself into thinking you can easily cover any additional expenses, you will be sadly mistaken.

2)      Be flexible! Make a must have list.  Maybe it’s the dress, maybe it’s the venue or the photographer (or the wedding planner J.) Know what’s on your must list and be flexible to accommodate it by finding alternatives for other things. 

3)      Stay true to you!  Everything you see is going to be beautiful.  If you’re not careful, a tomboy at heart can end up with a Barbie pink, ruffled event that everyone is wondering what part represents you or your partner.  Even a tomboy can love ruffles and want to feel like a princess, but there’s a way to still make it look like you.  Pick out the specific elements you liked, like the pink, ruffled peonies, or the romantic lighting so that you get the right feeling without it being over done. 

4)      Relinquish control!  Let the experts help.  If your DIY projects look like they are done by kindergartners, ask your crafty aunt for help.  Whether it’s hiring a coordinator to do all the work for you, or asking your sister to bake your Grandma’s famous cookies for the favor bags, let others help! Everyone wants to see you enjoy your day and relax.  Chances are the end result will be even better since they are happy to contribute and want to please you all the same.  You’ll also enjoy the planning process as much as the big day! 


TTFN: Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment