Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Code Blue- Dying trends Bring out the paddles if you them to stay…



Question Mark Trends
Will they be a GO?  Or should they GO AWAY? 


Bridal party pets?

In scouring the web for beautiful wedding and event images to inspire me I often come across some “Oh no they didn’t!” moments.  Some trends I’ve witnessed first-hand.  Others I’ve been guilty of.  But what I’ve learned is that trends are like the unwanted houseguest that overstays their welcome.  They linger.  They are not always bad, or annoying, but they just haven’t accepted that it’s time to move on. 

The typical trend sets out to be different; to challenge the masses and differentiate their uniqueness.  Then they get adopted, repeated, copied, and then they start to become a bad knockoff sold on Canal St. Finally, they're copied in a horribly bad one-of-a-kind-mass-produced-vintage way at every pop retailer in the mall.  This may (or may not) be what these next few trends are suffering from.   

Extreme Proposals?
Guy who faked his own death

Guy fakes plane malfunction
I’m not talking about a Jumbo-Tron announcement at halftime of your favorite team’s home opener, or even having a sign waiting at the landing site for the moment you two live out your skydiving dream.  I mean EXTREME! We are talking lighting yourself on fire, faking getting arrested,  a faux-plane crash, and faking your own death complete with make-up and all to make your bride to be see how empty their life would be without you.  

The fake out proposal was something I came across in searches nearly every time I looked for “wedding trends.”  Thank goodness my hubby didn’t try one of these.   I think my relationship would have crashed and burned had he faked a plane malfunction.  While I’m not a big fan, these boys knew their girl’s were really brave and had a great sense of humor to “survive” the stunts.  My tip: make your proposal memorable, not traumatic.






#YoumaynowTweettheBride#?
Groom updates his relationship status
I am the first to admit, when it comes to technology, I am not your go to girl! I don't know the color difference between the first and second edition iPods because I was still learning how to download music onto my computer.  Although I might be tech-developmentally delayed, I understand the importance of it and the role it plays in so many of our lives.

Tweets from the altar?
Yep, you are seeing correctly.  The officiant at this wedding above really stopped so Groomy could update his Facebook!  Umm? Now call me old fashioned, a tech hater or what you will, but if the love of your life, your good friends and family are all around you on your wedding day, couldn't you at least wait to do that til after you kissed the bride?

I completely understand being proud of your big day and wanting to share your happiness with the world.  My tip:  Enjoy a moment with your beloved and at least wait til you get in the limo to change your relationship status. 

Staged Dances?
Watch "Forever"  Bridal Party Entrance
When I was 13 I dreamed about how cool it would be to incorporate Dirty Dancing end scene choreographed routine (complete with lift) into my wedding.  And although I still remember all the steps, and think it would be funny to watch my now hubby pretending to be Patrick Swayze, I can't imagine asking my Grandma or my rhythmless best friend to be a part of the disaster, I mean flash mob.

When it comes to staged dances, they are cute and entertaining.  If Grandma's up for it and it won't cause her a broken hip, that's awesome!  Send me the Youtube link please!  My tip:  If you feel the need for choreographed dances, take a class at a local studio and surprise the older members of your family with a song and moves they are familiar with.  It will add a memorable moment for you and them!

Photo Effects?

Out of focus
The last trend that seems to be lingering around is photography layered with lots of effects.  While the new photo trends are leaning toward a more natural, or photo-journalistic, story telling type of pictures, the black and white with color, staged poses like the jump or the crouch, and perception distorted optical illusions still remain.

After working some fantastic vendors this weekend at the Danbury Bridal Show, a lot of these images are still popular.  My tip:  Find a photographer whose photos look good without the effects.  He's the one that will know how to apply them properly so they don't look like these:

Via Heavy.com



via WebUrbanist



via EllenTV






Now is about the time that I insert my disclaimer.  While these few trends seem to be slow to go, and that’s because they are not necessarily bad.  After working with some amazing vendors at the Danbury Bridal Show this weekend, I couldn’t help but see some awesome and talented photographs and images. Looking back over the good and bad trends of the last year, I’ve run across a ton of true beauty and some beautifully horrible images and interpretations of trends.  The key to keeping dying trends forever young is the right couple and the right vendors.  Some of these wacky ideas may work for the right couple.  Just always keep in mind that a wedding should be equally timeless as it is fun!

Oh, and BTW, pets dressed up are always adorable!  Just don't make your maid of honor have to do pooper scooper duty in a fabulous dress.

TTFN
Rachel



No comments:

Post a Comment