Friday, December 7, 2012

Flop or Fly?


Well, my first “Flop or Fly Friday” kinda flopped with a hubby with 4 broken ribs and two year occupying my time.  But that’s another story for another time.  I hope you will all forgive me and be sure that barring more broken bones or natural catastrophes, I’m back on track!  Onto happier things!

I remember when I announced my engagement the two questions that were asked were: “Did you pick a date? “ and “What are your colors?”  It’s such a simple and important part of wedding, yet it can be tough for some of us to decide from the many options out there.  Now that we’ve taken a look into how color has made its way into a white wedding, what do you think?  How will you be incorporating color or not into your wedding?  Does the idea flop or fly in 2013? 

My prediction-

Colors still “fly!” Color is not going anywhere anytime soon… at least when it comes to décor and bridemaids.  It has become a way to inject personality into the couple’s big day.  Brights or pastels, muted or jewel tones, what’s important is that color doesn’t overshadow the couple.  It should enhance everything from the bride’s dress, to the venue, to the overall feeling or theme of the day.  Here are a couple of my favorite ways that bright brides have incorporated color into their big day. 




Now when it comes to the brides, I’m a little apprehensive.  While I consider myself a non-taditional bride because I went about it in an unorthodox fashion, there is just something about a white(ish) dress that symbolic of a wedding. 

Over the years, the traditional “pure” white of wedding gown has been adapted into ivories or diamond whites to meet changing social practices.  The late 80’s and 90’s introduced bits of color in sashes, trains and subtle details which remain today.  As the social trends continue to change so will the gowns; but the change will be much more subtle. 

My prediction:  Colored bridal gowns will “flop” for first weddings.   (Sorry Vera, black is going to be a bust- it’s just a little too much still.) Champagnes, golds, and silvers are an easy and acceptible transition.  Where the pinks and light blues and will be seen sporadically.  They are beautiful and different, but this is will be the trend that dates the fashion of the times. 

I do see the trend entering the market but only ever so slightly.  I can see the trend being big in alternative-type weddings like more intimate weddings and second weddings, or as a second dress.  Here are some of my favoite inspirations that I can see taking off:







TTFN
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment